Friday, August 10, 2012

Thoughts of the Future

So, when I was 13 or so one of my friends and I made this list of what we wanted our future husbands to be like.  . . I found it today as I was looking through some drawers, along with a list of "possible kid names". Talk about being prepared!

Anyways, I'm going to type up the list I wrote so long ago, and then compare it to my thoughts right now, being a little older and a teensy bit wiser.

Thirteen year old Shannon:

  • Loves Jesus
  • Pretty eyes
  • Cook with me
  • Let me sing along to the radio
  • Keep surprising me
  • Watch movies with me on lazy days
  • Remember the little things
  • Help me face my fears
  • Start play fights with me
  • Write me post it note love letters
  • Always say what's on his mind
  • Let me wear his clothes.
  • Call me darling more often than 'babe'.
  • Hug me and say, "no, you're not", when I say "I'm fine".
  • Treat me sometimes like a child.
  • Show everyone how much he loves me
  • Pastor
  • Decisive
  • Lead me & our family
  • Listen to my jumbled up thoughts
  • Call me when he misses me
  • Tell me all about his day
  • hold me up when i'm weak
  • stand by my side, through thick and thin
  • Not expect me to be someone I'm not
  • Dance with me
  • Send me flowers just because
  • Tell me what I need to hear, even when I don't want to hear it
  • Smart & ambitious. 


Eighteen year old Shannon:
  • Loves God 
  • Possibly a pastor/ministry position
  • Thinker, listener, talker
  • Ambitious
  • Family man
  • Smart
  • Leader
  • Decisive
  • Know that the little things matter

Wow. Big difference, right? At 13, the things I wrote seemed so important. . . . but now I look at it and can't help but smile and laugh at my naive self. 

I've never had a boyfriend, and the only reason I will have one is because I'm considering marriage. Dating is just that in my mind, an application to marriage - and my future boyfriend better understand that dating is not all fun and games. It's a serious time to learn if he is someone I can live with for the rest of my life.

My idea of a relationship is built upon Christ. Not upon worldly ideals of what 'Dating' is. 






No comments:

Post a Comment